Re: Windows is disgusting

  • Subject: Re: Windows is disgusting
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:47:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 25 September 2006 00:29 \__

> I rebooted into it today, after, wow, I don't know, weeks at least, and
> oh my, what a horrid, horrid thing it was. Compared to Ubuntu, Windows
> XP is a POS.

This reminds me of the last time I used it (similar story to yours):

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/2a79a08cdbe0abe7/700cf97aa8d754f4

Also see:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/9e02585fcf7bfe15/9466e22b0741a152

> Why I rebooted? Not sure. But this I'm sure of: I really couldn't stand
> it. It took forever to reboot and the HDD was churning. On Ubuntu, KDE
> loads all my umpteen applications on a handful of virtual desktops and
> I flick through them however I want and never notice the HDD would even
> hiss. I really don't understand how an OS would trash itself like
> windows does. And no, I don't have a virus or a spyware, it's that bad
> *without* a virus or a spyware. And, my drives are always defragged,
> even the pagefile is.
>
> I even had the same issue with PockePC. That PDA version of Windows. It
> would just trash itself after a while. Now I'm back to Palm that
> beautifully syncs with KDE's Kontact.

PocketPC (Windows Mobile/CE) is unstable, buggy, and it eats away your
battery juice. Palm, on the other hand, is reliable and energy-efficient. It
is also being transformed into (replaced by) Linux these days. Also see:

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
`----

                        http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

> And to add to it, the whole user interface on Windows was quite ugly
> and the usablility quite poor. What is this? 1995?

The thinking at Microsoft is that the users don't like changes, even if these
involve usability improvements. Look, for example, at the dropping of
ribbons in office 2007 (now just a secondary option). It is not surprising
that Windows XP (Classic, AKA "no lipstick") is, at least on the surface of
it, indistinguishable from Windows 95. Windows Vista will contain some
dialogues that have not changed since Windows 3.1.

> What a POS it was.

If you say so. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora - Gotta love them girls
roy      pts/1        cg001a.halls.man Sun Sep 24 21:30   still logged in