Re: [News] Linux Can Be Installed Over the Network, or Without CD's

__/ [ riddic ] on Monday 25 September 2006 01:52 \__

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:13:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Gentoo Announces 'Seeds'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The aim of the project is to create stage4 tarballs which can be used
>> | to 'seed' new boxes with ready-built Gentoo solutions.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.osdir.com/Article9357.phtml
>>

>> Install Fedora Core 5 Linux Without Burning CD
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I tried to install fedora core 5 without burning the iso into cds.
>> | Normally I install them and then the cds are of no use. I use compelete
>> | install and I upgrade or install new packages directly from the interent
>> | (sic). This way I have fedora core 2, 3 ,4 cds sitting idle with me.
>> `----
>>
>> http://imthi.com/blog/73/index.php
>>
>> There was also a thread on the kernel mailing-list some time ago, which
>> explained how to install Linux without physical access to the machine. And
>> there are Live CD's, USB installations, etc. What do the rivals have to
>> offer? They are /virtually/ nowhere to be /seen/. No virtues (features).
>> Only sins (viral marketing).
>
> Actually you can install almost any OS via network using Linux ... in the
> case of non-Unix OS' though you might only be able to clone
> partitions of a working installation (I cloned a couple of Windows boxen
> via a LAN once using Knoppix). The simplicity of it is beautiful =)

That's quite true. I suspect one should assume that all the machines, e.g. in
the cluster where you 'clone' installation, have similar or identical
hardware. I find that the portability and separability of a home directory
is what facilitates good transparency. One could, for example, create many
user accounts and move them about from one machine to another (or
duplicating them) by grafting home directories. And then there's
Persistence, home directories that reside on the network, etc. It's a very
natural and powerful way of managing a computer system. It was built
correctly from the ground up.