Re: New MS policy on Internet Windows Activation

__/ [ ed ] on Friday 22 September 2006 18:54 \__

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:53:22 +0100
>
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 17:52 \__
>>
>> >  have just done a clean re-install of the retail copy of XP Pro that
>> >  I have
>> > owned for 4 years, on the same un-changed laptop that it has resided
>> > on for that four years. The last installation was well over a YEAR
>> > ago. It failed the internet activation and I ended up having to
>> > speak to a customer services representative. I asked him why it did
>> > not activate over the internet. He told me that a new policy just
>> > issued is that even with retail copies, internet activation is now
>> > restricted to ONE instance - any more than that has to be over the
>> > phone.
>> >
>> > That's going to push a lot more people to Linux, isn't it?
>> > If this is true, WHAT THE HELL DO MS THINK THEY ARE DOING?
>>
>> To be honest with you, I think that Microsoft is trying to crack down
>> on piracy (yes, honest!) as means of squeezing out revenue that is
>> left to be made from overpriced properietary software. Within a couple
>> of years, not only will such software become cheap, but it will also
>> become less prevalent, or its importance lowered/obviated by
>> (LAMP/OSS-based) Web services.
>
> Everything will be done on PDA style hardware by then, which is better
> for linux as it's far easier to port to other hardware when Linux
> already boots it just fine.

Yes. As much as I love multihead displays, I have always been arguing that we
will sooner or later use more modern technology such as retinal projection
(or head-mounted displays) and projected keyboards (or peripherals in
general). How about a set of gloves [1]? In any event, direct access to the
nerves is only a matter of time. It'll change the world as we know it.

[1] http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/09/07/x11-config-file/

Microsoft's take on 'innovation' is mind-boggling. It seems to perceive
multi-head displays (something I have used since I was 19) as tomorrow's
technology.

http://news.com.com/2300-1008_3-6070339-1.html

This can make one giggle if put into context. How uninspir[ing/ed].

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
 12:05pm  up 65 days  0:17,  9 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.79, 0.78