Re: [News] Sony Playstati*nix 3 Price Reduced by 20%+

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 22 September 2006 16:56 \__

> On Friday 22 September 2006 16:35 AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:46:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>Sony cuts PS3 price by 20 pct to Y49,980 in Japan
>>
>>>,----[ Quote ]
>>>`----
>>
>> ..
>>>Linux gaming becomes more affordable. The PS3 may also be a fully-featured
>>>Linux PC, claims Sony. With fast polygon redering, Compiz/XGL/AIGLX seems
>>>probable as an inclusion.
>>
>> Has anybody ever run anything but the PS3 supervisor/games on it?
>> They may have a linux kernel at the core, but if you can't run anything on
>> it then it's a moot point.
>
> Indeed - you just beat me to it:-)
>
> Does anybody actually have any data or a spec on this (the PS3)?
> Do we know what it *will* do wrt Linux?
> Can one really use it as a PC, in addition to gaming?

Here is an article that could shed some light (it's one among many).

E3: Kawanishi Talks Homebrew Linux PS3 Development

,----[ Quote ]
| In an intriguing turn of events, Sony executive Izumi Kawanishi
| has illuminated some of his company's PlayStation 3 Linux plans,
| indicating that it will be possible for individual 'homebrew'
| coders to create playable content for PS3, something actively
| blocked for Sony's PSP handheld.
`----

        http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9290

Sony has said numerous times that the PS3 is grossly underestimated for its
potential. They said it could serve as, if not altogether replace, your home
PC. I can't recall where I read this.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
Cpu(s):  19.5% user,   2.7% system,   0.9% nice,  76.9% idle