Re: Sony Playstati*nix 3 Price Reduced by 20%+

  • Subject: Re: Sony Playstati*nix 3 Price Reduced by 20%+
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 Sep 2006 08:13:26 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Sony cuts PS3 price by 20 pct to Y49,980 in Japan
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Sony Corp. said on Friday it would sell its PlayStation 3 video game
> | console in Japan for 49,980 yen ($430), over 20 percent lower than a
> | previously announced price.
> `----
>
> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060922:MTFH25783_2006-09-22_03-17-23_T229782&type=comktNews&rpc=44
>
> Linux gaming becomes more affordable. The PS3 may also be a fully-featured
> Linux PC, claims Sony. With fast polygon redering, Compiz/XGL/AIGLX seems
> probable as an inclusion.

More affordable for the consumer, yes. But this also means that Sony
will be absorbing more of the cost and taking a larger loss on each
unit sold. Obviously they are doing this for a reason. Most likely
their internal marketing research showed that few consumers would be
willing to pay roughly $600 for a game console.