Re: [News] Linux Can Be Installed Over the Network, or Without CD's

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5717470.6MfhOuhPVC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gentoo Announces 'Seeds'

,----[ Quote ]
| The aim of the project is to create stage4 tarballs which can be used
| to 'seed' new boxes with ready-built Gentoo solutions.
`----

http://www.osdir.com/Article9357.phtml

My understanding is that Gentoo Seeds are out-of-the-box setups of Gentoo for common tasks, such as web serving. I don't think the project has anything to do with installing Linux over the network without CDs.

Install Fedora Core 5 Linux Without Burning CD

,----[ Quote ]
| I tried to install fedora core 5 without burning the iso into cds. Normally
| I install them and then the cds are of no use. I use compelete install and
| I upgrade or install new packages directly from the interent (sic). This
| way I have fedora core 2, 3 ,4 cds sitting idle with me.
`----

http://imthi.com/blog/73/index.php

This is a neat trick, but unfortunately the instructions as stated requires Windows XP to already be installed on the system. You could probably modify this to remove the requirement for WinXP specifically, but it would at least require *SOME* OS already installed, as the host OS needs to download the installation data from the Internet and place it somewhere on the harddrive.

There was also a thread on the kernel mailing-list some time ago, which explained how to install Linux without physical access to the machine. And there are Live CD's, USB installations, etc. What do the rivals have to offer? They are /virtually/ nowhere to be /seen/. No virtues (features). Only sins (viral marketing).

I'd avoid terms with religious overtones.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298750

This uses PXE to install from the network device, so you don't need anything from the harddrive, but you do need a local server in your LAN to host the install data.

- Oliver