Re: Userful and Ubuntu Make Desktop Linux Even More Cost-Effective

On 2006-09-21, Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [ ray ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 16:53 \__

>>> Interesting. Our local library has a four seat DiscoverStation from
>>> Userful - it uses RHEL.
>>
>> The part of the story which I found the most intersting is this:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubuntu with Userful's 'Multiplier' offers dramatic hardware and
>> | software savings, literally offering organizations ten Linux workstations
>> | for what they would otherwise spend on just a single Windows computer
>> | with commercial office and graphics software.
>> `----
>>
>> Get 10 Linux boxes for the price of just a single Windows box.
>
> You found it interesting? You must have done : because you dreamt
> it. Its not what they said. But then no surprise there.
>
> They *said* you could have 10 graphics heads in a SINGLE PC and use X to
> power 10 keyboards and monitors. In other words going back to dumb
> terminal computing ....

	For some applications, THAT IS THE APPROPRIATE CHOICE.

	Not everyone is the same. Everyone has slightly different
requirements. Everyone expects different things and will tolerate
different things.

> ,----
>| "Our virtualized X-server enables a single Ubuntu PC equipped with extra
>| video cards to support up to 10 monitors, USB keyboards, and users
>| simultaneously," says Tim Griffin, President of Userful.
> `----
>
> And I hate to tell you this, but it would need to be a pretty powerful
> PC knowing the overhead of common apps like open office. We wont even go
> into the average office worked using their PC as a multimedia player
> too.

	Office apps don't do diddly squat in terms of cpu utilization
or load. Neither to "multimedia players" either. The "big memory
footprint" of multiple copies of these apps can be shared amongst all
of the users.

        Unix has been thriving in this kind of environment for longer
than Microsoft has had a GUI (worth mentioning).

--
     Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
	                                                         / | \