Re: [News] Microsoft to Adopt XBox 360 Marketing Model to Promote Zune: Sell at a Loss, Lock in Users

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft to Adopt XBox 360 Marketing Model to Promote Zune: Sell at a Loss, Lock in Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:51:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 02:37 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's Strategy To Steal Market Share From the iPod: Subsidize Its
>> Zune To the Tune of $150
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Mike Evangelist, writer of the excellent blog Writer's Block Live, had
>> | an interesting comment on my weekend article on Microsoft's marketing
>> | strategy for its Zune music player:
>> |
>> | ...it occurs to me that there may be another answer that explains
>> | Microsoft's odd behavior regarding the price and compatibility of the
>> | Zune. I think they are going to subsidize it...sell them for $99, or
>> | something like that. Buy their way into the market, then milk users for
>> | the rest of their lives as they buy/rent media.
>> `----
>>

> ---snip---
>
> If this pans out... the ZUNE will be an EXCELLENT and CHEAP source of small
> harddrives... I hope they do it...

...Haven't though about this one. Think about it... free filesystem
encryption is supported (DRM)... a large display to do a variety of
things... could flash the baby to have some customised Linux /a la/
ipodlinux < http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page >, only for cheap(er). And with
Wi-Fi...

I wonder if a large/small mass-storgae USB device will be cheaper and more
practical. I guess one can rub off the logo or paste something over it...

http://www.system76.com/index.php/cPath/53_64

Could glue the unwanted "Powered by Windows" sticker on your garbage can.