Re: Scribus for Professional Publishing Under Linux

JDS wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:41:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

> > http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000225
> >
> > Linux also boasts some of the best tools for composing books and replacing
> > what is perceived as a standard/necessity, e.g. Adobe Illustrator.
>
> Once again, I must reiterate how awful Scribus is *TO USE*.
>
> Yes, Scribus produces good, print-ready PDFs.
>
> Yes, Scribus can do PDF forms.
>
> Yes, Scribus is Open Source blah blah blah.
>
> But it is fucking impossible to use! No undo! That alone should let you
> know how fucking hard it is to use. Has anyone here actually *used*
> Scribus?

Are you expecting MS Publisher for Linux ?

Do you have extensive pre-press experience with Quark X-press, Indesign
or Pagemaker to name three ? Let's see your portfolio...

Page Layout != Word Processing or writing text in $EDITOR

You must have an ancient version.. The latest version has an awesome
undo system. You also do not mention what you run it on... Some distros
are *far* better to run Scribus on than others.

> I do like the fact that Scribus *exists* but it is in near-alpha stage, if
> you ask me.  Of course, you didn't ask me. But I offered anyways. Aren't I
> nice?

Near alpha ?

Hmm.. That is why a national weekly newspaper in France now uses it, or
the many books now in print - professionally - not vanity printers
thanks to Scribus.

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Success_stories