Re: [News] GNOME Officially Gets Highly-Flexible Menu Editor

__/ [ JDS ] on Thursday 21 September 2006 16:48 \__

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:45:24 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Alacarte: GNOME's long overdue menu editor
>
> All I can say is: it's about fucking time.
>
> What about "applications:///"? Whatever happened to that idea? I know it
> never worked on Fedora/Redhat without significant tweaking, but it's
> mentioned over and over agian in the Gnome docs.
>
> And I hope the new version of the alacarte menu editor/SMEG lets you add
> custom items, instead of only being able to turn off or on items that are
> already there.
>
> Also, and this is an aside, I sure hope Squiggly Squid or whatever they're
> calling Ubuntu 6.10 these days has an improved "Services" tool. The
> current one (a) sucks and (b) does not even come close to matching the
> documentation. And BUM isn't all that great either.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

I thought it was my colleague who coined the BUM abbreviation. But it never
caught on. It's hard to get a paper on BUM accepted. Still, better than that
professor who spoke about "pixel fucking"...

> I really should write one and submit it to Gnome...
>

> (Oh, and by the way, I fucking love Ubuntu overall, so don't misjudge me
> be my snarky tone here)

Snarly Snorkle. That's a prophetic release codename. I started with Wart
Warthog myself. And it was brown, much as I had expected.