[News] Rumour: Google Experiments with OpenSolaris

Google eyeing up Sun OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Google runs a stripped-down version of Red Hat Linux specially modified
| by its engineers. But another source, a Solaris systems administrator
| who recently interviewed for a job at Google, said he was told the
| company plans to create and test its own modified version of
| OpenSolaris.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=6926&pagtype=all

I did some shallow research on this. There is nothing (e.g. publication or
blog) other than CW to suggest likewise, so it could be overinflated.

Opinion: I have had short correspondences with and have been following Google
for a long time. They love Linux and they are happy with it. The code
repository is too reliant on Linux. Why change? There is only a lot to be
lost (dependencies on a company, for example). And what about hiring Morton
to work on the Linux kernel? Or Microsoft's funnelling of 2 billion dollars
into Sun as means of killing Linux and keeping up the value of proprietary
operating systems? The pieces of this puzzle just don't fall together.

Another angle: Sun's OpenOffice. Aren't Google Spreadsheets and Writely a
competition and a threat to Sun, despite collaborations involving OpenOffice
(targetting the main common rival)? Solaris and Sun equipment (e.g. SPARC)
are said to be energy-efficient, yet it's the only factor that I can think
of as that which would deem this reasonable.