Re: [News] Microsoft Shrewdly Hides Financial Potential of Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Shrewdly Hides Financial Potential of Linux
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:42:25 +0900
  • Cache-post-path: ella.cg.yu!unknown@221m35.oasis.mediatti.net
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux Options Omitted From Vista Survey
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It's either the Microsoft way or the highway for computer users
> | according to a survey about the economic impact the Vista operating
> | system could have in Europe.
> |
> | The potential for Linux making an impact on the European Union economy
> | isn't covered in an IDC whitepaper sponsored by Microsoft. Writer Glyn
> | Moody at Linux Journal found that the survey directly targeted the
> | European Commission.
> |
> | [...]
> `----
>
> http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/
> wpn-62-20060920LinuxOptionsOmittedFromVistaSurvey.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/gzyyj

I found this quote of interest in the article:

> âmany of the 100,000 jobs the white paper claims will be generated
> by Vista could just as easily be created if companies and users
> ignored Vista and turned to free software instead. Moreover, the
> wider benefits of nurturing free software - for example, in
> creating public resources that anyone can use - are increasingly
> being recognized.

In a way I could agree that there will be some slump in the job market.
After all, with the greater security of Linux there is less need for
antivirus staffers and support IT personnel unsquirreling desktop systems.
However, increased productivity could only help to boost the national
economies by greater profitability and less overhead.

Talking about Windows, I found this little pearl from a Japanese site:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://
www2.starcat.ne.jp/~yaoshi/diary/%3F200210&sa=X&oi=
translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dvt3235
%2Busb%2Bdriver%2Blinux%26hl%3Den%26hs%3DxLg%26lr%3D
%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

or http://tinyurl.com/qupv7

--
HPT