Re: [News] Is Windows Mobile Web in Trouble? (Linux Headed FTW)

__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Saturday 07 April 2007 18:30 \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Microsoft shows its hand to stay in the mobile web war
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Repeatedly it has been asked of Microsoft, why not throw away Windows
>> | Mobile and build a new generation of software on top of the prevalent
>> | smart phone operating systems -- Symbian and Linux, or add Windows
>> | Mobile only as an afterthought?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/06/microsoft_deepfish_mobile_browser/
>>

> I couldn't help shreeking with laughter when I read 'webpage as thumbnail
> where the users has to select the part to zoom in on'  IS THIS INNOVATION?
> Haar, haar, haar!!

It has been done before, but I think that the company which Microsoft
acquired actually patented the damn 'bright idea'. It outrageous, isn't it?
The other day, Apple was found to have patented the idea of varying-sized
icons (depending on use). I posted a comment about it in Digg which was
rathrr popular. Not only is there prior art, but if we go along this route,
someone will also patent a fundamantal and tirivial idea like
icons/representation of directory contents. It's a case of first to file,
not first to implement. Nobody can implement ideas, let alone write code,
without fear of being sued, esepecially when one grows to be lawsuit-worthy.
Google has just come under fire, with accusation that it's services/products
imitate somebody else's. By that measure and notion of originality,
Microsoft could get crucified for copying spreadsheets, word processors,
window-based interfaces, DOS, Web browser...

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
Mem:    514480k total,   483584k used,    30896k free,    96928k buffers