Re: P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead

__/ [ asjbiotek@xxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 07 April 2007 22:58 \__

> I don't like the guy, but he says what I've been saying to some of my
> friends:
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html

> A few days ago I suddenly realized Microsoft was dead. I was talking
> to a young startup founder about how Google was different from Yahoo.
> I said that Yahoo had been warped from the start by their fear of
> Microsoft. That was why they'd positioned themselves as a "media
> company" instead of a technology company. Then I looked at his face
> and realized he didn't understand. It was as if I'd told him how much
> girls liked Barry Manilow in the mid 80s. Barry who?
>
> Microsoft? He didn't say anything, but I could tell he didn't quite
> believe anyone would be frightened of them.

He is not the first to make an assertion. The tipping point goes quite some
time back (in the context of services in particular).

November 25 [2006] - Microsoft Dies

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the day. The demise of Microsoft. The day of reckoning has
| come at last. Friday 23rd November 2006. Google had seen it's profits
| soar massively. Microsoft on the other hand have had an awful year.
| Low profits, internal scandals, a lowered reputation and a lowered
| customer satisfaction rate have left the company in tatters.
`----

http://globa-tech.blogspot.com/2006/11/november-25-microsoft-dies.html

Of course, the software division suffers similar issues. Only 12% of the
population intends to give up on old software (remember, it's all about the
apps) and hop on Vista. Then there's OpenDocument, which could rip Office
(or its cost at the least) apart.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S