[News] Nintendo Eyes Victory, Microsoft Tries to Escape Disaster

Nintendo eyes 62 percent profit rise in '06/07

,----[ Quote ]
| The figure, above a market estimate for a 242.4 billion yen profit
| by 17 analysts polled by Reuters, would represent a 62 percent
| rise year-on-year and would exceed Nintendo's previous forecast
| by 24 percent.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070406/bs_nm/nintendo_earnings_dc

Microsoft mulls cell-phone-style Zune subsidies

,----[ Quote ]
| The spokesman said a subsidized Zune is only one of a series of
| "wild ideas" being considered by the company's entertainment and
| devices division to help the Zune better compete with Apple's
| iPhone, a combination cell phone and iPod that is expected
| to be released in June.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-ponders-zune-subsidized-cellphone/story.aspx?guid=%7B0AE57ECC%2DB64D%2D4266%2DADB4%2DDDD1A093FDBD%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2ckbw7

Microsoft: we'll pay for it. Just take it. Please. One of these "wild ideas"
he is referring to is the pink and orange Zune.

The same approach of short-term giveaways has led to massive losses ($5+
billion) in the XBox division, which is expected to lose its fight for the
top.