Re: Linux virus 'discovered' by Kaspersky Lab ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Friday 06 April 2007 13:53 \__

> 'Podloso cannot be launched automatically without user involvement.'
>
> 'the virus scans the device's hard disk and infects all executable .elf
> format files'
>
> How does it get onto the iPod?
>
> Will it write to root owned files or is it restricted to /home and /tmp
> like on most Linux systems.
>
> Will it execute from a noex partition
>
> Can we see a sample of this virus ..
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/06/044208

The majority of the articles are referring to this humorously, claiming it's
just a cute way of making a case for a 'virus' that does not spread itself
and requires some advanced user interaction in order to be deployed and then
invoked. It's like one of those batch file 'viruses' I wrote when I was 12.
Nothing but a bunch of commands and some social engineering.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
  2:20pm  up 25 days 21:23,  7 users,  load average: 1.47, 1.38, 1.31