Re: [News] Telegraph Covers Linux/MythTV

> Who needs TiVo when you've got a room full of geeks?
[...]
> Completely Mind-Blowing! LinuxMCE ROCKS!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Unlike its nearest competitor, Windows MCE, LinuxMCE is free, open
> | source software, built on top of the Ubuntu operating system and
> | features an innovative 3D user interface (which you've got see in
> | action to believe) for superior media navigation...
> `----
>
> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3683/completely_mind-blowing_linuxmce
[...]
> http://linuxmce.com/
[...]
> http://www.slashgear.com/pre-build-mythtv-linux-pvr-eats-windows-mce-for-breakfast-152985.php

I've said it before, but this is a very, very impressive media solution,
I'm just surprised that more far-east gizmo companies haven't exploited
the software on cheap set-top boxes for mass distribution (like they
have with DVD players in e.g. supermarkets).

There's a golden opportunity up for grabs. Maybe somebody should send a
friendly Email to some of these Chinese/Taiwanese companies, and pose
the question.

Just imagine ... Isle 14: TVs, DVD Players, MythTV boxes, Linux Home
Servers, Tupperware, Movies ... wait a minute ... "Tupperware"??? OK,
who's working on isle 14 today? :)

But seriously, who'd have thought a few years ago that today you'd be
able to pick up a multi-region DVD player at ASDA for 15 quid? Media
servers are the new DVD Players ... only better ... way better, and now
with Free software too. Some enterprising people out there could make a
killing.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2307.fc5
 02:04:11 up  5:12,  2 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.35, 0.18