Re: Why are Democrats so pro-Microsoft ?

  • Subject: Re: Why are Democrats so pro-Microsoft ?
  • From: mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:25:26 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:33:10 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> On Apr 5, 5:56 pm, AZ Nomad <aznoma...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> >I think that's partially explained by basic philosophy. Demos believe that
>> >more government (read restriction) is the answer. Reps believe it is the
>> >problem.
>>
>> Both are whores explaining the OP impression of democrats.
>>
>> Of course if was the republicans coming to power who ended the antitrust
>> action against microsoft.
>
> As somebody who has been involved in the politics of technology, let
> me tell you folks that it is a big mistake to try to link two
> otherwise dissimilar groups. Linux advocates should always keep
> present that their fundamental goal is:
>
>        L I N U X   A D V O C A C Y
>
> and during the execution of such, they have to remove from their minds
> anything related to the pro-Democrat or pro-Republican or other
> beliefs or preconceived biases.
>
> There are a few issues which are break down neatly along partisan
> lines (in the USA, anyway):
>
>  - abortion
>  - gun control
>  - taxes
>  - etc.
>
> However, Linux Advocacy or Microsoft adherence is NOT and should NOT
> be one of them.
>
> We should on the lookout to identify and denounce any politician or
> public employee who takes bribes from Microsoft, regardless of their
> partisan affiliation.
>
> -Ramon

change the word "microsoft" to "corporate interest" in your statement
to fix what, in my opinion, is one of the biggest problems with our
political/economic system:

"We should be on the lookout to identify and denounce any politician or
public employee who takes bribes from corporate interest, regardless of
their partisan affiliation"

unfortunately, the line between bribes and lobbying/campaign contributions
has become blurred.  apparently it's damn near impossible to keep the $$
billions generated by illegally maintained monopolies from finding it's
way into the pockets of gov't officials who in turn do exactly what is
expected of them.  imo, the key to minimizing monopolistic abuse is to cut
the financial ties between corporate interest and gov't such that our
elected officials can start focusing on what's best for the general public
as opposed to just doing what they're told by their corporate sugar daddy.