[News] Microsoft Kicks Off Lobbying Campaign for 'Monopoly Enabler' (OOXML)

Microsoft calls on UK public to raise the Office standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is calling on the Great British public to join its campaign
| to get the XML Office format adopted as an international standard.
|
| [...]
|
| It is not clear if the UK is an opponent. However, a representative
| of fellow member the Bureau of Indian Standards recently reportedly
| complained to the IndiaTime.com over Microsoft's decision to dump
| 6,000 pages of documentation on them.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/04/microsoft_office_standards_petition/

More attempts at political manipulation overseas.

Similar to:

U.S.-based Internet Radios: really going to die!

,----[ Quote ]
| Their Call for Action is useless, I'm afraid. The U.S. Congress
| doesn't give a sh*t on what people want, need, or believe.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2766

Related:

Microsoft Fights for OpenOffice XML Standard Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| To win approval, Microsoft must obtain 75 percent of all
| votes cast.
|
| Organizers have said they expect representatives from about
| 100 countries, including the United States, Canada and most
| large European and Asian nations, to ultimately cast ballots
| on the issue.

Microsoft's Open XML Format Advances in ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| Andy Updegrove, a partner with Boston law firm Gesmer Updegrove and
| editor of the ConsortiumInfo.org standards blog, said that 14 of 20
| three were inconclusive or neutral, and one offered no objections.

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

Q&A: Former Mass. CIO feels 'bittersweet pride' after battles with Microsoft,
legislature

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.
|
|    Quinn:  I believe that the ODF decision will stand. I believe MS
|    will continue to do anything and everything it can to stop it. And I
|    know my seat wasn't even empty and they (MS) took another shot at
|    the title, to no avail. This horse is out of the barn and I see no
|    way for it to go back in. Remember, all we are asking for was and is
|    for Microsoft to commit to open and the standards process; so
|    everyone looks really bad if the plug gets pulled at this juncture.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

The Sorry State of Massachusetts

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2006111603531029

Microsoft offers schools in Mass. free software (to stop ODF adoption)

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6090196.html?part=rss&tag=6090196&subj=news

Microsoft plays Massachusetts Senate card

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32515

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

Years of deadlock on EU patent bring some new thinking

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/08/business/patents.php

,----[ Quote ]
| "A source that deals with the company said unofficially that Gates
| proposed Microsoft's Digital Rights Management technology as a national
| standard to fight piracy at the governmental level."
`----

http://www.kommersant.com/p719683/r_528/

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109

Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist disagrees with "flawed"
conclusions

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889.html

Open Source Foes In Bed With Abramoff

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/12/2036223&from=rss

EU official joins consultancy serving Microsoft

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-10-03T134311Z_01_L03693228_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MICROSOFT-OFFICIAL.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Changing the Report, After the Vote

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

Microsoft playing three card monte with XML conversion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=959