Re: Rushed Patches for "Critical" Windows (and Vista) Flaws 'Break' Things

__/ [ p5000011@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 05 April 2007 02:38 \__

> Just want to say that your [News] posts are an excellent service and
> most appreciated. Wonderful Linux advocacy, which includes being
> critical of Microsoft due to the lies and FUD they, and some of their
> 'supporters', spread against Linux and OSS. Sadly, those that would
> benefit most from your posts probably do not subscribe to this, or any
> most likely, newsgroup.
>
> Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I have just found another article where it's reported that many
people have their anti-virus br0k3n by this _security_ update. Apparently,
uninstalling the software and reinstalling it 'resolves' the issue. This
makes you wonder if it's a standard procedure to follow every time a patch
gets delivered.

The related links are just a recent examples. There were many similar issues
with previous patches (and service packs), which sometimes required wiping
and reinstalling the entire O/S (unless there was some remedy that's
obscure, time consuming, and hard to get by).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
Cpu(s):  23.1% user,   5.0% system,   0.7% nice,  71.2% idle