Re: Fixing Parts of Vista with Command-line Hacking

__/ [ p5000011@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 05 April 2007 02:18 \__

> On Apr 5, 2:30 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Vista - Fix Large File Copy and Network Disconnect
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | One of the "new features" in Vista, of course is the new networking
>> | stack. As with anything new, you can expect problems but did you know
>> | you can disable some of the "advanced" features (for the time being)
>> |
>> | After reading all kinds of posts and a couple of MS FAQ's, it seems
>> | the main culprit is the Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level.
>> |
>> | One thing people seem to forget is, you can turn this off and on via
>> | the command line.
>> `----
>>
>> http://library-cafe.com/article/vista-fix-large-file-copy-and-network...
>>
>> And yet, Free softwae doubters say that only Linux requires that you open
>> up a shell every now and then. Vista needs it because it's semi-baked, not
>> because the command-line is quicker to use.
>
> CLI aside, why does Microsoft always get it wrong. New IP stack? So
> the old one was a lump of shit? The IP RFC's don't change that often
> requiring an IP stack rewrite.
>
> Talking of CLI, when Microsoft produce something that compares to
> iptables + iproute2 I might be impressed. That functionality would at
> least give users a chance of securing their systems against
> fundamental flaws in the Windows OS.

Yes, the point in your first paragraph has been raised before. Have a look at
the following:

Symantec Finds Flaws In Vista's Network Stack

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers with Symantec's advanced threat team poked through
| Vista's new network stack in several recent builds of the
| still-under-construction operating system, and found several bugs
| -- some of which have been fixed, including a few in  Monday's
| release -- as well as broader evidence that the rewrite of the
| networking code could easily lead to problems.
|
| [...]
|
| Among Newsham's and Hoagland's conclusions: "The amount of new
| code present in Windows Vista provides many opportunities for
| new defects."
|
| "It's true that some of the things we found were 'low-hanging
| fruit,' and that some are getting fixed in later builds,"
| said Friedrichs. "But that begs the question of what else
| is in there?"
`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/190700049;jsessionid=MWLALDT21M1...

Symantec Says Windows Vista Will be Less Secure than XP

Symantec sees an Achilles' heel in Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of Microsoft's efforts to make Windows Vista its most stable and
| secure operating system ever could cause instability and new security
| flaws, according to a Symantec report.
|
| [...]
|
| "Microsoft has removed a large body of tried and tested code and
| replaced it with freshly written code, complete with new corner cases
| and defects," the researchers wrote in the report, scheduled for
| publication Tuesday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6095119.html

Six reasons you'll hate networking in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9003835&pageNumber=1

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
Cpu(s):  23.1% user,   5.0% system,   0.7% nice,  71.2% idle