Re: Microsoft sued over Windows Vista marketing

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft sued over Windows Vista marketing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:21:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ p5000011@xxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 04 April 2007 05:08 \__

> On Apr 4, 1:56 am, "ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Quote:
>> ----------------
>> A lawsuit alleges that Microsoft Corp. engaged in deceptive practices
>> by letting PC makers promote computers as "Windows Vista Capable" even
>> if they couldn't run the new operating system's "signature" features.
>> ------------------
>> Unquote
>
> As bad as this is I think its even worse that the major OEM's offer
> only Vista on new PC's knowing full well that many peripherals and
> software users may have are not functional under Vista. This all but
> forces them to buy XP just to have the functionality they had before.
>
> Yet another reason for users to switch to Linux & OSS. Upgrade your
> distro / switch distro and odds on all work as before.
>
> Vista is an embarrassment to Microsoft. It is a hell of an expense for
> those buying new PC's or those foolish enough to 'upgrade' to it.

The OEMs are being actively pressured to offer Vista and hide XP options,
which is what the customer often wants (the latter alone). Reminds you of
anything? Many customers who ask for Linux yet face a helpless OEM that
remains obedient to secret and exclusionary Microsoft contracts...

It's a coordinated market deadlock. RIAA likes DRM. Microsoft wants everyone
to have Vista. OEMs need Microsoft's love (low prices) and frequent
upgrades. Vote for change, with your wallet.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
Cpu(s):  22.9% user,   4.9% system,   0.7% nice,  71.5% idle