Re: [News] Office 2007 Review: Overall, It's a Step Back

John Locke wrote:
>>> I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of weeks and I'm convinced
>>> that Microsoft missed an opportunity to change the way we relate to
>>> software by taking one step toward radical change, but ultimately
>>> failing when it came to implementation.
>
> By the time you buy Vista, buy hardware, buy new apps to replace
> broken ones AND THEN have to buy Office 2007 on top of everything
> else, your looking at some real serious money.

If you have a machine bought in the last couple years, chances are very good
it will run Vista with no problem.  But let's say you need to add:

1gb of RAM (take you up to 2gb total): $100

Vista Home Premium OEM upgrade: $120
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-32-bit-Builders/dp/B000MFDJ1A/ref=sr_1_4/102-0966090-5830537?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1175578957&sr=1-4

Office Home & Student: $130
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Home-Student-2007/dp/B000HCZ8EO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0966090-5830537?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1175579574&sr=1-1

Total: $350

That's not serious money, at all.

> And there's not much to gain.

Depends on the user.

> Really insane stuff. How does Microsoft get away with this ??

They make good software.  The best office software, by a LONG shot.  A good
OS, on top of which runs the best software apps and games.

> We use Open Office every day. Works fine for us.  Better yet, it comes
> with your Linux distro.  Better yet, its FREE.

That's the only reason you use it, too.