Re: Red Hat Inc total revenue up net income down ..

  • Subject: Re: Red Hat Inc total revenue up net income down ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:05:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rexford Ballard ] on Sunday 01 April 2007 04:20 \__

> On Mar 31, 1:30 pm, Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 'Red Hat Inc. reported its financial results today for its fourth fiscal
>> quarter and full fiscal year, both of which ended Feb. 28. While total
>> revenue was up, the market was disappointed at the report that net
>> income for the quarter fell about 25 percent year-over-year'
>
> Yes.net income went down even though revenues when up 44% year
> over year.  When revenue is up, and and profits are down, it usually
> means tha a company is investing in itself to brace for growth.
> Red Hat is up to $400 million in revenue, and could pretty quickly be
> up to at least $1/2 billion annualized.  Of course, that's only one
> Linux
> distributors, and they are selling their product at savings of 90-95%.
>
> So while the revenue is less than 1% of Microsoft's revenue, it's
> still
> about 5-10% of the unit volume.  Furthermore, Red Hat is just one of
> several strong linux distributors by unit volume.
>
> Good job Red Hat!!

It's the JBoss investment (acquisition last year and investment doubled last
week). Sales were up 41%. Some analysts and journalists completely missed
that. Of course, to investors, short-term moneyflow is all that matters. To
us, the fact that server demand is sky-rocketing is all that matters. Red
Hat have just said that they intend to take on the desktop (not just
Fedora)... something like SLED, only without Mono, the proprietary addons in
OpenOffice (for Windows), and the 'balance sheet liability', covered for
only 5 years.

>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS2013750039.html

PS - many short posts from you. Where is the real Rex and what did you do to
him?

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  8:00am  up 20 days 15:03,  6 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.54, 0.62