Re: Dells Linux strategy trashed ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 31 March 2007 17:14 \__

> 'The trouble is whether Dell, if it decides to tap this market, will end
> up losing money. The phenomenon of a company asking for its customers'
> views, giving it to them, and then finding out that a vocal but tiny
> minority are just that -- tiny -- is hardly unheard of'
>
> 'take my own experience as a computer-literate individual who supports
> to some degree or other about a dozen friends and relatives. All are in
> Dell's target market but none is clamouring for Linux. All simply want
> their computers to just work and don't care about the OS'
>
> 'Linux enthusiasts are blind to the way that most people use their PCs.
> It seems unlikely that they'll switch distros to buy a Dell'
>
> 'Dell needs to concentrate on the enterprise. Offer one flavour of
> Linux, support it to the hilt, and fill the world's call centres and
> public sector clerical workers' desks with a rock-solid but limited
> Linux-based application set. The volumes involved should help make up
> for the loss of money from Microsoft and the rest'

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/features/index.cfm?featureID=3250&pagtype=all

Someone from Dell responded to this silly 'article' and he was not too happy.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
Swap:  1036184k total,   513252k used,   522932k free,   135184k cached