Re: Old Windows Junk... New Linux Servers

  • Subject: Re: Old Windows Junk... New Linux Servers
  • From: Charlie Wilkes <charlie_wilkes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:41:44 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:40:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/12/17/ubuntu-mom-loves-it/
>
>    1. Mom buys new computer
>    2. Computer comes with "Free" AOL/NetZero/random ISP account, as well
>    as
>       loads of unwanted software
>    3. A month later, the ?free? antivirus? license has expired, so has
>    the
>       "free" firewall's license
>    4. Mom uses computer for 6 months, so do an increasing number of
>    trojans,
>       spyware and adware
>    5. Mom finds computer too slow
>    6. A visit to the local electronics/computer store is planned 7.
>    Computer "diagnosed" at $60 per hour 8. Diagnosis: Computer too old,
>    buy a new one, OR, we can fix it for you
>       in 4 hours (and it will cost $240)
>    9. Mom buys new computer
>   10. Computers-at-home+=1
>   11. GOTO 1

This resonates with what I have seen.  However, along with malware, an
even bigger problem is "legitimate" software that loads automatically
when Windows starts.  Every camera, printer, scanner, etc. adds to the
load.  People don't know how to get rid of this crap, and over time, it
sucks up all the available RAM.  So people go out and buy something
new... not every six months, but more often than necessary.

As you say, it is wasteful.  But the open source model offers a menu of
choices that suit old/embedded systems as well as fast new desktop
machines.  That is suited to a multi-platform market, with junior on his
hot new cell phone, grandpa on his legacy desktop, and momma yakking with
her sister on skype using a mini-itx.  The tipping point is still a few
years out, but it's definitely on the horizon.

Charlie