Re: [News] World's First Mobile Linux Development Kit; AMD Chooses OpenVG for Mobiles

  • Subject: Re: [News] World's First Mobile Linux Development Kit; AMD Chooses OpenVG for Mobiles
  • From: flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 01:15:48 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <2717497.Tnlegi72d8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> The World's First Mobile Linux Development Kit (MKit) is now available
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Unicon Systems, a Linux handheld software and hardware technology
> | developer from Menlo Park, California, will start shipping its Mobile
> | Linux Development Kit (MKitTM) this week.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/apr/18/the_worlds_first_mobile_linux_development_kit_mkit_is_now_available
> http://tinyurl.com/2rm6lu
>
> Ikivo and AMD claim to enrich graphics on mobile phones
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This solution is based on OpenVG - a royalty-free, cross-platform
> | API that provides a low-level hardware acceleration interface for
> | vector graphics.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39014
>

> Related:
>
> Embedded vector graphics library supports Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Italian start-up Mazatech is shipping the first stable release of
> | its hardware-accelerated commercial 2D vector graphics library
> | for small-screen embedded devices. Mazatech says AmanithVG 1.0
> | implements the Khronos Group's OpenVG specification, using a pair
> | of 3D APIs, also from the Khronos Group.
> `----

> Khronos solicits feedback on royalty-free multimedia spec
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | OpenKODE aims to increase native source code portability across
> | device operating systems, including Linux, Brew, Symbian, Windows
> | Mobile, WIPI, and RTOS-based platforms. It defines a set of
> | advanced media capabilities expected to be consistently
> | available on compatible devices.
> `----

With the amount of hard business on mobiles coming our way, the strong
swing to Linux is going to save a vast lot of grief, and in fact will
help demonstrate that the best place for win is on the shelf unopened.

In some ways the internet has just begun. It's future volume of traffic
is probably huge beyond imagining right now. If we don't evict insecure
windows code from it, it will not be stable enough to endure.