Re: [News] Short Cedega Review; Inquirer Editor Tries and Reviews GNU/Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 16:18 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 11:58 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This kind of route seems inevitable to me.  I wonder how long it will be
>>> before there are DOS game CDs which spin up a copy of freedos and
>>> produce a huge menu of games directly from the CD, or even run as a
>>> linux liveCD with a dosbox instance driven from some kind of menu
>>> system.  Same thing for Windows games, as Vista is unlikely to ever
>>> support them.  Microsoft /do not/ care about the small publishers one
>>> jot, one iota.
>>
>> Old and free stuff gives the investor nothing but 'fluff'.
>>
>> Microsoft forbids free Xbox content

>>| Tim Sweeney disclosed how Microsoft is barring their efforts to
>>| offer free content for owners of Gears of War. Guys from Epic
>>| created six maps (two of which have been released to gamers)
>>| for this hit-title which earned Microsoft millions of dollars,
>>| but now Epic cannot release the remaining four maps. Reason is
>>| very simple: money.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38823
>
> I don't think Microsoft have understood why Doom was so successful.  It
> was not because of the networking capability alone, indeed, that was
> copied by several good games, rather, it was the relative ease with
> which user-supplied wads could enhance the game.  This became so
> important that the really smart doom types started writing patches to
> the original doom wad to change weapons, sounds, textures and so on, in
> addition to creating new environments.
>
> I still have about 3,000 doom wads (1 & 2) on a local dos/linux-netware
> network here, although they don't get played all that often now, since
> the graphics quality of doom is not really competitive with quake3.  I
> still don't think I've played all of those wads yet...
>

>> Virgin Radio comes to Wii, PS3
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| We are not aware of when the Xbox 360 will be supported, or if it
>>| be at all, thanks to Microsoft's policy concerning free content
>>| for its console.
>>|
>>| It is not a technical issue, but Virgin would probably like to
>>| avoid paying money to M$ for providing free content.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38822
>>

> No reason why you should, is there?  Microsoft are desperate to shore up
> their falling revenues, though, so they'll consider any means by which
> they could get additional revenue.

This clearly does far more harm than good. It's akin to labels that adopt DRM
and then see their sales sink by 40% injust one year. DRM spurs piracy,
rathewr than stop it.

MPAA: Frustrated Consumers Will Pirate

,----[ Excerpt ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061016/tc_zd/191502

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
  2:05am  up 4 days  1:33,  4 users,  load average: 1.10, 0.69, 0.69