[News] Even Microsoft Employees Cannot Use Windows Vista to Pay Tax

Microsoft Can't Use Own Software To Pay Washington State Taxes

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista is incompatible with the state's electronic filing
| system, according to a bulletin published by the State of
| Washington Employment Security Department.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199100238&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb
http://tinyurl.com/ynomsa

Same with IE7. See bottom.

Why You Might Want to Wait to Upgrade to Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| As Microsoft probably intended, my first reaction to Vista was
| "Oooooh, pretty."  One of the new features that Vista is touting is
| Aero, its slick new design style (and as everyone and their mother
| has noted, it?s basically just Microsoft catching up with what Apple's
| been doing for years).  Problem is, if you run software that doesn't
| support Aero Glass, it turns off. For all programs, not just the one
| that's not compatible. Suddenly your nice new interface ain't so nice
| anymore.
`----

http://www.texxors.com/2007/04/16/why-you-might-want-to-wait-to-upgrade-to-windows-vista/
http://tinyurl.com/29hoyn

This I did not know...

5 Things I Hate About Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft have recently announced its new OS, the highly
| we've-been-waiting-for Vista. While it looks splendid and very Web
| 2.0-ish, it is another money-sucking phenomenon from the Bill
| Gates empire.
`----

http://www.ihatethis.org/2007/04/16/5-things-i-hate-about-windows-vista/

The following shows that Windows is /inherently/ not backward compatible,
just like proprietary Office formats. This is among the issues GNU/Linux and
OpenDocument can properly address.

Backward compatibility on Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| When i want to run my oldiest games in my Windows XP, i get a error
| message and i no idea about it. Then my friend give me an advice to
| try set the Windows XP compatibility, this is a little trick but
| sometimes can help you a lot.
`----

http://otakatik.com/en/operating-system/windows-xp/0027-backward-compatibility-on-windows-xp.html?Itemid=28
http://tinyurl.com/23f48c

Related:

IE7 users: beware! Microsoft telling their staff not to touch it...

,----[ Quote ]
| My mum's friend, who's been working for Microsoft for quite a while,
| just told my mum that Microsoft have started telling their employees
| not to use IE7 as it crashes a lot.
`----

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=36928.0

Consumers in No Hurry for Vista Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| In a survey of 4,144 members of Danawa.com, a price comparison site,
| only 14 percent of respondents said that they will immediately upgrade
| to the Vista platform when Microsoft releases it on January 30.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200612/kt2006122918214111890.htm

Korean government warns against Vista upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Information and Communication said that it wished it
| could tell a private company like Microsoft to postpone the release
| of Vista, but it can't. The best thing, an official said, was not to
| install Vista before you know what you're getting into.

The cost of monoculture

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2007/01/26/00h53m55s#003095