Re: [News] IBM Boosts Linux Use, Gets Upgraded

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> All in one day:
>
> Network Ten Signs Major Digital Video Deal With IBM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The solution also includes Tivoli Storage Manager software
> | running on Linux-based IBM System x3550 and IBM System x3650 servers.
> | IBM Services include project management, hardware and software
> | implementation, and application workflow implementation.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070416/0238785.html
>
> Media Networks Go Digital With IBM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This entire workflow is based on standard software packages including
> | Linux, IBM Websphere, IBM Tivoli and DB2. The LTO library and IBM
> | System x servers powering Fox's "Big 10" coverage also integrate
> | with Avid Unity for editing.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070416/0238786.html
>
> And it gets upgraded:
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ud?s=IBM
>
> "16-Apr-07      Canaccord Adams   Upgrade       Hold     Buy"

IBM have been very good to Linux, I can't remember a time in Linux world
when IBM were not involved somewhere, supplying resources, sponsoring teams
etc. IBM had a huge sub section of their web site devoted to Linux even
many years ago, information, pointers and so on.

My one and only gripe with IBM is it's piggin web site. To get to a price or
decent server configuration information you have to touch a sales rep.
Yuck!! You have to ring a piggin server sales company, and who would do
that just to get info? No way, once a server sales man has your phone
number he'll be with you for life. ringing every time you have a jam
doughnut therefore need both hands to ensure no jam hits the white shirt.

You also have to know the type of server you want before you get to the IBM
site, because whoever wrote that site did a sort of Dr Who on the
information 'I take these words and scatter them through time and
space....'

So if Mr IBM is looking in here, Look mate, your site does have a lot of
detailed info on it of all kinds much of it has been usefull to me over the
years, but when it comes to selling servers on your site, well frankly
these days we are used to being able to play at configuring them onsite, we
can play with it too, configuring a super-do-it-all server, then chop it
down to budget sized. I bet your left sock you would get more sales if you
did that instead of 'How to buy -> Go see one of the sales reps at one of
these third party sites'. Your servers could be made of 24crt Gold and a
tenner each but the mention of a sales rep before we have even decided if
we want a server off you, well it's just not going to sell.