Re: [News] Microsoft is Now "Motivated by Fear"

__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Monday 16 April 2007 13:01 \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Microsoft's act of desperation
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft knows that Vista is a sub-par OS. Had Vista in it's current
>> | form arrived in 2004 instead of 2007, it may have passed for
>> | acceptable... You go to Dell's website, and in the option to select
>> | operating systems, you see Windows and Linux. Windows costs an
>> | extra 400 dollars; Linux is an extra 50.
>> `----
>
> "But this is the last chance they are going to get. If the next Window's OS
> doesn't blow us out of the water, the desktop market is going to Apple or
> the Linux community"
>
> I don't think Microsoft has until the next Windows version, Linux
> migrations will start *well* before that. Dell may start the ball rolling
> but I think there are also undercurrents which Microsoft does not sense. By
> the time the next Windows version comes out (which will simply be a
> reworked version of Vista with stuff in it originally planned for Vista)
> 30% of business and government desktops will be Linux.
>
> The home desktop will most likely be the last to switch to Linux as there's
> simply much better game support under Windows. I believe the OpenGL
> consortium needs to get its act together before this can be solved. DirectX
> is supported in hardware by most graphics vendors, and OpenGL is bolted on
> as an afterthought.

I agree. The author missed the fact that Dell has already confirmed that PCs
will be sold with Linux preinstalled.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry