[News] Apple Innovates iCensorship

Latest Leopard build from Apple suggests much work ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Please Note: This article has been removed temporarily for edits at
| the request of Apple Inc.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/03/02/latest_leopard_build_from_apple_suggests_much_work_ahead.html

Apple and its legal team did not want this information to be public, so once
again a blogger/reporter is shut up using lawyers.

Related:

"Mysterious company" censors unflattering Steve Jobs video

,----[ Quote ]
| While Robert X. Cringely says that the posting of five minutes of
| the show was probably in breach of copyright, he hadn't complained
| and neither had the programme maker Oregon Public Broadcasting.
|
| The take down notice came from an outfit called NBD Television,
| which neither Cringely or Oregon Public Broadcasting had heard of.

Apple failing to understand open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
| cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
| expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/apple_failing_to_understand_op.html

How Apple orchestrated web attack on researchers

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is a mega corporation that nearly smashed the reputation of
| two individuals with bogus claims of fraud. It didn't matter
| that they weren't the ones pulling the trigger because they
| were pulling all the strings.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=451

EU consumer chief eschews another bite at Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| In this week's edition of the German magazine Focus, Kuneva had
| been quoted as saying: "Do you think it's fine that a CD plays
| in all CD players but that an iTunes song only plays in an
| iPod? I don't. Something has to change."
|
| She stopped short of repeating that on Tuesday.
|
| "Somebody drew the comparison with Microsoft. No, this is not the
| case because the share of the market of Apple is really not a big
| one so there is not any reason to talk about infringement," Kuneva
| said.
|
| The Commission found in 2004 that U.S. software giant Microsoft
| abused its dominance in the PC operating system market, fined it
| nearly 500 million euros ($659 million) and ordered the company to
| change its business practices.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070313:MTFH27978_2007-03-13_17-05-45_L1392040&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/37tdbp

Lily Allen slates Apple's iTunes tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple accused of bullying musicians into providing exclusive
| content for iTunes
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17450

Apple Bullies Bloggers, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has a history of using lawyers against bloggers. There was
| the now infamous Think Secret lawsuit, which may have had merit.
| But they also engage in clearly superfluous, bullying tactics as well.
|
| [...]
|
| The offending download page is here (the software has now been
| removed). Blogger Paul O'Brien simply linked to this download
| page and included a screenshot of the user interface and also
| received a cease & desist letter from Apple's lawyers.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/01/13/apple-bullies-bloggers-again/

EU takes aim at Apple over iTunes

,----[ Quote ]