Re: Microsoft out to destroy Sun

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft out to destroy Sun
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:23:39 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, OK
<otto@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:49:07 +0200
<ts2t13df888gk2ge24tqgmstt9i72j4l6r@xxxxxxx>:
> On 12 Apr 2007 10:44:09 -0700, "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Bill
>>took on the offensive even more, claiming that NT would be "A better
>>Linux than Linux".
>
> You'll be hard pressed to find a reference. Any links, please, where
> we can see where and when Bill Gates said NT would be "A better Linux
> than Linux"?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/17056/17056.html

might be of some interest.  It's dated 1997-05-22.

   UNIX vendors switching to Windows NT

   "All the Unix vendors here want to jump on the NT bandwagon; they're
   all dying to get together with Microsoft," said Selim Antoun, a
   consulting analyst with NCR, a manufacturer of Unix workstations.

(Wonder what he's saying now. :-) )

   "Unix as a common operating system never caught on," said Microsoft
   CEO Bill Gates. "There were committees coming up with things that
   worked properly with the various systems but each manufacturer
   continued to have its own developers and its own engineers, leading
   to fragmentation."

   While NT's scalability still can't touch the highest-end UNIX
   systems, NT is a killer combination of speed and price for systems
   with one to four CPUs. At the Scalability Day event, Microsoft
   demonstrated that a PC server running Windows NT with 30GB of disk
   capacity would cost about $60,000. The Sun Solaris equivalent costs
   almost $160,000. Sun is aware that NT beats Solaris solutions as
   well:

   "We don't have a cost-optimized, four-[CPU system] and we're keenly
   aware of that and we're not afraid of meeting the challenge," said
   David Douglas, marketing director for workgroup servers at Sun.

(Nowadays, a basic PC workstation with 30GB might cost a few hundred.
Ah, the strangeness of it all.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.