Re: [News] Former Microsoft Evangelist (Scoble) Leaves Windows

  • Subject: Re: [News] Former Microsoft Evangelist (Scoble) Leaves Windows
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:52:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In article <2728208.HG2ajRlvHN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> I love my new Mac (list of cool utilities from Twitter)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | What about you? What utilities or apps or services do you think
>> | every Mac user should load?
>> `----
>>
>> http://scobleizer.com/2007/04/05/i-love-my-new-mac/
>>
>> How ironic. Their main fanboy has chosen to switch to a Mac. Pirillo makes it
>> seem like he's going to follow suit. The ship is being abandoned by the
>> informed people at the top first. Same with Linux migration that start at
>> the government and flow downwards.
>>

> That post about the Army general saying he's Red Hat's biggest customer.
> Whew.
>
> Like email and the web, maybe here comes Linux from the mil and edu
> sectors to take over the world.

It's already dominant in small routers and ADSL modems and small wifi
boxes.  It's absolutely dominant in web-search and clustered computing
solutions.  It's growing very rapidly indeed in smartphones and tablets,
and is hitting the console market hard.  Governments are picking it up
all over the place for desktop installations.

As you say, linux has been a mainstay of comp-sci, engineering and
natural science deparments for many years, and clearly the US military
is a big user.

The huge success of Firefox and Openoffice/ODF is massively changing the
landscape, and the OLPC project is seeding third-world countries with
affordable computing for the classroom.