Re: [News] Firm Moves to GNU/Linux on the Desktop

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 11 April 2007 18:12 \__

>> Because Linux is not Windows (or a clone of it). :-)
>
> It is interesting to note that the Linux distributions that try
> hardest to emulate Windows are not as popular as Ubuntu (which
> does not).  Trying to be too much like Windows is probably a
> mistake, as it reinforces the false assumption that the OS should
> behave like Windows in every way, leading to confusion when it
> does not.  Ubuntu takes the correct approach by focusing on
> improved usability on its own terms, even doing it better than
> Windows in many cases.  Get the user in the mindset that they are
> learning something new and better, not just replacing Windows,
> and the whole Linux experience becomes much more rewarding.

Yes, clearly. I remember your recent example where you talk about installing
many applications in one go. I never quite thought about that. I used
Synaptic (though it could be any command-line utility like yum or apt-get)
to just get one package at a time, although clearly other things are
possible. Some things people just take things for granted and rely on wrong
assuptions... applications needn't to be fetched from some Web site, then
installed one at a time, with reboots in between. Linux will -- to many
people -- be a whole new way of thinking.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
Swap:  1036184k total,   693056k used,   343128k free,    35512k cached