Re: [News] Microsoft in Trouble, Wants to Join an Open Source Group (Rumour)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
> Microsoft, Channel Stuffing and Desperation: Old Tricks for a New Era
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft is in trouble, and this ain't no joke. Vista is a
> | disappointment. Search is weak. Xbox is under siege from the
> | Wii. Paul Graham recently posted that "Microsoft is Dead.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html

I've been suspicious of the numbers Microsoft gives about Vista licenses
sold. I believe it's simply a matter of channel stuffing too.

> Open Source To Microsoft's Rescue?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Apparently, Microsoft agrees with me. A trusted source says
> | Microsoft recently attempted to join the Open Solutions Alliance.
> | The organization, which includes about a dozen open source
> | companies, declined to admit Microsoft into the group because
> | members worried about Microsoft's motives.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070411/32004_id.html?.v=1

I don't believe that open-source application support for Windows is the
problem, most if not all open-source apps run on Windows. I believe the
problem (for Microsoft) is that most open-source applications run just as
easily on Linux as they do on Windows, allowing people to switch easily with
no loss of user experience.

It will, however, be impossible for Microsoft to persuade open-source
developers to add Windows-specific features to their applications.