Re: More evidence that Vista "sales" are fake

__/ [ ray ] on Monday 30 April 2007 05:09 \__

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:11:39 +0100, [H]omer wrote:
>
>> How Microsoft pretends to flog Vista:
>>
>> .----
>> | This isn't much of a mystery. Please allow me a moment to pass along
>> | what I know.
>> |
>> | We had MS reps in about a month ago touting how wonderful Vista is.
>> | We have about 10k client computers, about 40% Macs mind you. Still
>> | that leaves us with about 6000 systems that run some flavor of
>> | Windows. The vast majority of that is Windows XP Pro 32bit w/ SP2. We
>> | manage all of our Windows clients with Server 2003.
>> |
>> | We just rolled out about 500 new IBM/Lenovo business class machines
>> | for a small project. All of those machines officially come with Vista
>> | Business.
>> |
>> | However since we have no plans to roll out Vista on the desktop
>> | anytime soon since it is "cludgeware," we are allowed to "downgrade"
>> | our license to XP and still be in MS compliance.
>> |
>> | We are in K12 education in the NE USA. I would imagine this is
>> | happening all over the country with business sales. Perhaps globally.
>> | You would know that better than I given that your HQ is on the big
>> | island across the pond. :)
>> |
>> | Officially the computer goes out the door with Vista, it arrives on
>> | site, Vista gets blown away and our image of XP Pro is put on. MS
>> | still counts the box as a Vista sale however.
>> |
>> | MS is clever and pretty good at marketing even if they make a
>> | horribly bloated OS.
>> |
>> | My .02 and thanks for listening.
>> |
>> | JGL
>> `----
>>
>>  - http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39258
>>
>> How many supposed sales of this "horribly bloated" "cludgeware" results
>> in it being replaced with XP or Linux? Are Microsoft adjusting their
>> "sales" figures accordingly?
>
> Why the hell should they? If it is sold, it is sold. MS got their money,
> why should they give a damn.

The already-stuffed channel will not over-stuff itself any time soon. The
stocks are piling, but where are the buyers? It's unlikely that Microsoft
will publish sales figures any time soon. All that needed was this initial
'make belief' that puts _a lot_ of pressure on the obedient channel and
helps create an illusion (a one-time bang).

It's like those Web sites that make it seem like they are overwhelmed by
traffic... or doctors who arrange for all their appointments to take place
in a 2-hour window so that it seems like they are overbooked and therefore
so talented and sought-after.

http://paultyma.blogspot.com/2007/04/i-was-windows-vista-user-for-like-2.html