Re: [News] PC Magazine: Microsoft Should Start Worrying

  • Subject: Re: [News] PC Magazine: Microsoft Should Start Worrying
  • From: p5000011 <p5000011@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:25:47 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:55:06 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:43:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Time for Microsoft to Start Worrying
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Behind all this is Google's understanding that the future of software
>>| lies in Web-based applications.
>
> Except the future does *NOT* lay in web-based applications.  Perhaps, for a
> small subset, but most users simply will not or cannot use web-based apps
> 100% of the time, and if you have to have a traditional application to do
> the job part of the time, why use two apps when one will work 100% of the
> time?
>
> Unfortunately, I think Microsoft is going to take googles lead and attempt
> to compete with them in this stupid area.
>
> Consider this:

Your whole naive argument lies in the belief that web-based apps only mean
Internet apps. There is nothing wrong with having the server HW & SW on
the companies intranet. It is no different than today except the interface
to the SW is run in a browser instead of a local client app. The benefits
here can be huge. No need to install lots of apps on each desktop and the
cost of updating them all. Data stored on a company server no different
than it is today for most businesses.

We already have several intranet web-based apps where I work and the number
will only increase. You need to get some glasses and look at the whole
picture and not the FUD Microsoft spread.