Re: People Bash Software They Know Absolutely Nothing About (Linux)

  • Subject: Re: People Bash Software They Know Absolutely Nothing About (Linux)
  • From: Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Apr 2007 11:54:17 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Apr 28, 12:41 pm, spi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Larry Qualig <lqua...@xxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>
> > Oh... you mean like [H]omer bashing Solaris the other day or some of
> > the idiots here bashing Windows.
>
> VERY bad example.
> Find one person who bashes windows that doesn't have experience with it?

Why don't you stick to what I said. I didn't say there were people who
didn't have "experience" with Windows. I said they don't know how to
use it. There's a difference.

Let's start with this MULTIi-page manifesto:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/09c223574225529d

<quote>
Unlike a certain operating system from somewhere in Redmond,
Washington,
UNIX systems do not consider individual filesystems as entities from
the user perspective.  In Windows, you store a file on "a drive", and
all drives have alphabetic drive letters to access them with.  They
bear equal importance as entities to the operator, and the operator
must ascertain their relevant importance himself.
</quote>

Err.... obviously WRONG. Too bad the poster doesn't have a clue what
he's talking about.

While reading that post I ran across this tidbid:

<quote>
In UNIX, _everything_ is a file.  A hard disk is a file.  The output
of
a process routed to the input of another process - also know as "a
pipe" - is a file.  A partition on a hard disk is a file.  A terminal
console is a file, etc.
</quote>

No. Not _everything_ is a file. MOST things are files but certainly
NOT _everything_.

Here we have someone blaming Microsoft thinking they invented the CR
+LF as the EOL terminator:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/5ab58a2dfa4237fc?dmode=source&hl=en

Here's another "Knowledgeable" COLA advocate who thinks it's
impossible to have over a TB of disk space in Windows because 'aren't
enough driver letters.'

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/d5032b1dee1fe2a8?hl=en&;

</quote>
I have 3 drives with 240,362,656, 1 with 192,292,124, and 1 with
156,250,576 1K blocks. A grand total of 1,069,630,668 1K blocks, or
just over a terabyte.

I look at this system and I wonder how difficult it would be to manage
all the drive letters one would have to deal with under Windows.
</quote>

There are dozens of idiots who have whined over the years about
needing a driver letter for every disk. I won't bother listing them
all.

Here's another "Knowledgeable" user whining that Windows task
scheduler (cron) doesn't support scheduling tasks with a frequency
greater than once per day.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/392369b6fbb9ecff?dmode=source&hl=en

<quote>
First hitch, Task Scheduler has no option for every hour.  Every day
is the highest frequency it supports.  WTF they would leave out every
hour and every minute is beyond me.
</quote>

So much complaining... so little knowledge.

And here's another fool whining about being unable to kill multiple
tasks in Windows and who's complaining that it would take too long to
close them all with task manager.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/e606cd681d03b871?dmode=source&hl=en

<quote>
Wow!  How long does it take for you to close these 100 WinZip windows?
Is there anything even close to the Linux command

        killall winzip
</quote>

And here a couple of retards are laughing because they think that a
user needs to be logged in for a Windows cron script to run:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/dad400562df79736?dmode=source&hl=en

<quote>
 nobody> You probably have to be logged in when the
 nobody> task is scheduled to run.

That's even more ridiculous!

 nobody> The big problem is that Windows has very few applications
 nobody> that can be useful without direct user intervention at
 nobody> runtime (unless you want to learn how to write VBS
 nobody> scripts).

A big big design flaw.
<quote>

Then there are the dozens of claims that Windows isn't multi-user but
somehow these "experts" seem to forget that dozens of different users
can have simultaneous FTP or SSH sessions into a Windows machine. But
hey... it doesn't support multiple users.

So yes. Much of the whining and complaining going on here is from
idiots who don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.