Re: People Bash Software They Know Absolutely Nothing About (Linux)

__/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 28 April 2007 17:41 \__

> Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> Oh... you mean like [H]omer bashing Solaris the other day or some of
>> the idiots here bashing Windows.
>
> VERY bad example.
> Find one person who bashes windows that doesn't have experience with it?
>
> We've ALL been bitten by windows stupidities (and don't even THINK of
> trying to deny that)
>
> How about this one from a week ago?
> Primary school, kids accounts are all locked down as unprivilaged users,
> right?
>
> No permissions to do ANYTHING much apart from run the programs on their
> desktop... Can't even set their background in display settings...
>
> And even though they have no authorities or permissions setup to allow them
> to change the background in the display settings, they can STILL do it with
> "Save to desktop" in internet exploder
>
> Of course, once they'd done that they had no ability to change it back,
> meaning, the teacher's method of restoring everything was to copy all their
> files to a safe place, delete their account, recreate it and copy
> everything back! After all, she couldn't switch to the user's account and
> change the desktop, she had no permissions, she COULD reset the entire
> permissions of the entire class to grant access but that was even MORE
> trouble.
>
> I told her an easier way, copy the system tellytubbyland wallpaper to a
> location she could reach it and then reset the wallpaper from the user's
> account using Exploder again.
>
> So, no permission to change the wallpaper, but permission to change the
> wallpaper in IE?
>

> Did they ever even try to THINK it through?
>

> Windows is so much easier, oh yes. Soooo much easier.

It's also a bad example because Linux mimics UNIX and here you have Solaris,
which works very similarly. Comparing unices is a very different matter.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
  6:20pm  up   2:35,  4 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.43, 0.43