[News] Security Guru Argues Security Industry Never Should Have Existed

Schneier questions need for security industry

,----[ Quote ]
| "We shouldn't have to come and find a company to secure our e-mail.
| E-mail should already be secure. We shouldn't have to buy from
| somebody to secure our network or servers. Our networks and servers
| should already be secure."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6179500.html

Guess whose direction the finger is pointed at?

And now we have SPAM:

Five Days of Project Honey Pot Announcements

,----[ Quote ]
| Check these pages throughout the week to learn more about new
| features and initiatives to help take back the Internet from the
| spammers.
`----

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/5days_monday.php

Scapegoats:

Pentagon 'hacker' questions US cost claims

,----[ Quote ]
| Only the Law Lords now stand between the Scot and a US trial for
| allegedly breaking into and damaging 97 US government computers
| between 2001 and 2002 and causing an estimated $700,000 worth of
| damage, in what US authorities have described as the "biggest
| military" computer hack ever.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/26/mckinnon_infosec/

Money exchanged for seemingly-pointless software:

Websense buys Surf Control

,----[ Quote ]
| Websense is bulking up to take on the big IT security vendors by buying
| Surf Control, the British censorware developer, for £201m ($400m) cash.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/26/websense_buys_surf_control/

SPAM and viruses for the user's enjoyment:

Hackers debut spam and virus sandwich

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/26/spam_malware_convergence/