Re: the DOS gold mine is shrinking ..

  • Subject: Re: the DOS gold mine is shrinking ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:11:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BC ] on Monday 23 April 2007 16:39 \__

> On Apr 23, 10:26 am, John Bailo <jaba...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>> > I believe people underestimate
>> > the impact DR-DOS has had on us in terms of pricing.
>>
>> sed -e 's/DR-DOS/Linux/'
>
> DOS was MS's cash cow for a long time, and it
> pretty much financed all their other projects. Not
> bad for a product they only paid $50k to get the
> rights to:
> http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm

All their cash cows seem to be acquisitions which they often just weakened
(death knell through acquition). This is without a doubt a 'cash cow'
company... Bill brought the /cash/ from his wealthy family, but I'm not sue
about the cow... maybe that's the point where Bullmer starts leaping and
yelping on stage.

Microsoft's current cash cow will have the rug pulled from under it feet. ODF
will make Microsoft Office obsolete within years. Cash cow aside, the cash
reserves look terrible.

Software Notebook: Microsoft's cash pile isn't what it used to be

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft has taken a series of steps to reduce its cash
| balance. Specifically, by Microsoft's count, the company has
| paid out nearly $100 billion through dividends and repurchasing
| its own stock in the past five years.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/309852_software02.html

Someone is consuming too much milk.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
  3:05pm  up 11 days 14:33,  5 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.19