[News] Mandriva Wanted to Aquire Linbox, Gets More Funding

Raising cash

,----[ Quote ]
| I have spent the last 5 months working on this and I am very happy we
| found a solution. We needed the investment and it?s been a tough race.
| Those who've done this know what I am talking about. I have looked at
| all possibilities (yes, all) and talked to everyone (yes, everyone)
| who could be potentially interested in such a deal, given the time
| constraints. I can now again allocate all my time and energy to
| running the business and I look forward to it.
`----

http://corp.mandriva.com/webteam/2007/04/23/raising-cash/

It seems like they will be getting back on track. Ubuntu in particular gives
them a run for the money because their focus is the desktop of relatively
new users.

Related:

Mandriva Beijing: La Révolution Culturelle? (RC3) mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a good "final RC", with enough things to ponder over them. And some
| deep thinking will be needed indeed when choosing a distro (I need to
| choose at least one distro for the laptop and one main distro for the
| desktop, both with good Qt3/Qt4/Python development tools), knowing that
| this month is also supposed to bring us:
|
|     * openSUSE 10.3 (from the Microsoft alliance)
|     * Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04
|     * Debian Etch (or maybe not)
|     * Fedora 7
|     * possibly CentOS 5 and Scientific Linux 5.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2748&from=rss

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring also provides the newest versions of the
| Compiz and Beryl 3D-accelerated desktops.
|
| Together, Metisse, Compiz and Beryl - with the convenient
| Mandriva configuration tool - make Mandriva Linux the most
| up-to-date distribution as far as the graphical environment is
| concerned. Mandriva's integration work renders Metisse available
| for all, for an enhanced user experience. Metisse is not a
| 3D-accelerated desktop but a Human-Computer Interface (HCI)
| technology that revolutionizes the user experience.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/mar/23/mandriva_linux_2007_spring_released

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring Beta2 "Wei" (aka build 4452)

,----[ Quote ]
| "Wei" just landed on a mirror near you. This is the beta2 snapshot
| of the upcoming Mandriva 2007 Spring release.
`----

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007.1/Development/Beta2

Mandriva open office in Lagos

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva West Africa to start operations in February 2007 to offer
| the Mandriva Linux operating system and open source applications
| and solutions to individuals, educational institutions, publica
| nd private organizations, ISVs and OEMs all over West Africa.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/feb/22/mandriva_open_office_in_lagos

The Perfect Desktop - Part 2: Mandriva Free 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of Microsoft's new Windows operating system (Vista),
| more and more people are looking for alternatives to Windows for
| various reasons. This tutorial is the second in a series of
| articles where I will show people who are willing to switch to
| Linux how they can set up a Linux desktop (Mandriva Free 2007
| in this article) that fully replaces their Windows desktop,
| i.e. that has all software that people need to do the things
| they do on their Windows desktops. The advantages are clear:
| you get a secure system without DRM restrictions, and the
| best thing is: all software comes free of charge.
`----

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_mandriva_free2007

Mandriva launch Corporate Desktop 4.0 beta

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1399