Re: [News] DoubleClick REJECTED Microsoft Despite High Bid

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Sunday 22 April 2007 06:58 \__

>> News Analysis: Microsoft General Counsel on DoubleClick and Antitrust
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This raises a very important question - why didn't Microsoft match
>> | Google's $3.1 billion offer. Smith would not comment on this, but I can
>> | report from very good sources that in fact the company did offer to
>> | match it, and was willing to pay even more to insure that Google did not
>> | corner the online ad market. But for whatever reasons, the private
>> | equity firm that owned the majority of DoubleClick's shares decided to
>> | go with Google.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | I asked Smith about the irony of Microsoft asking the government to
>> | support it on antitrust. His response was interesting.
>> `----
>>
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/003561.php
>
> "Antitrust law, [Brad Smith] explained, takes a dim view of companies
> who buy their way to market domination using cash alone."
>
> OMG, this is *hysterical* ... coming from Microsoft. Is he kidding???

In Japan, meanwhile, Brad Smith has something eerily similar to deal with:

Microsoft foresees more suits in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| A legal battle between Microsoft and Japanese anti-monopoly authorities
| is likely to conclude next year and might lead to lawsuits or other
| patent infringement complaints against the U.S. software company,
| an executive said Thursday.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has been slapped with hefty fines by European Union regulators,
| who have said Microsoft broke competition laws and abused its dominant
| market position.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_hi_te/japan_microsoft

But no, he would argue (his words therein), Microsoft is not a monopoly. Just
Google. Evil Google...

The same goes for the EU where he would argue hidden communication protocols
are just fine. At least Google offers APIs.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish
session
Mem:    514480k total,   350500k used,   163980k free,    14172k buffers