[News] Vistagami Leaves People Bemused, Ubuntu UMPCs to Fill the Void

There's promise for UMPCs yet

,----[ Quote ]
| The launch of the Origami platform at CeBIT 2006 was greeted with
| curious bemusement by most hacks, and it turned into the literal
| version of ROFL when we learned that Microsoft was indeed not
| joking. This year they Continued the deceased equine aggression
| with the launch of Vistagami, a case study in how to make something
| so awful no one wanted it in the first place quite a bit worse.
| This is a great success in MS terms.
|
| With that in mind, Intel did the one thing that has a chance to
| save the whole concept, it threw Microsoft out. Yup, there will be
| Ubuntu and Red Flag Linux on Silverthorn UMPCs! Suddenly the expensive
| flop with a short battery life becomes a possible contender. It is
| amazing what a little total hardware and software change can do
| for a PC.

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

Intel debuts Linux-based "Mobile Internet Device"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS