Re: [News] Vistagami Leaves People Bemused, Ubuntu UMPCs to Fill the Void

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Sunday 22 April 2007 05:59 \__

>> There's promise for UMPCs yet
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The launch of the Origami platform at CeBIT 2006 was greeted with
>> | curious bemusement by most hacks, and it turned into the literal
>> | version of ROFL when we learned that Microsoft was indeed not
>> | joking. This year they Continued the deceased equine aggression
>> | with the launch of Vistagami, a case study in how to make something
>> | so awful no one wanted it in the first place quite a bit worse.
>> | This is a great success in MS terms.
>> |
>> | With that in mind, Intel did the one thing that has a chance to
>> | save the whole concept, it threw Microsoft out. Yup, there will be
>> | Ubuntu and Red Flag Linux on Silverthorn UMPCs! Suddenly the expensive
>> | flop with a short battery life becomes a possible contender. It is
>> | amazing what a little total hardware and software change can do
>> | for a PC.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39086
>
> ROTFLMAO!!!!
>
> Charlie Demerjian strikes again. Beautiful.
>
> (Is this guy reading my Blog, because some of his references, phrasing,
> and the timing of his posts is uncanny?)
>
> It's about time The Inq. ditched that halfwit Andrew (Open Saucers)
> Thomas, and brought in some real talent.
>
> Here ... keep laughing:
>
> http://slated.org/the_umpc_song

See my previous reply on this, which had written before I saw this message.
Maybe he gets some of his material here. There is evidence to suggest this
(and I read his writeups regularly... the INQ is a blast and Charlie gets
many front pagers in Digg, rather than /. which has become more conservative
with OSTG!).

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  6:20am  up 7 days  5:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.98, 0.79, 0.76