Re: Dell Restores XP Options at Vista's Expense (and Offer Linux As Well)

  • Subject: Re: Dell Restores XP Options at Vista's Expense (and Offer Linux As Well)
  • From: "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:07:26 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Apr 19, 6:48 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Dell casts doubts on Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows
>>> XP on some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow
>>> to Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
>>>

> Of course Microsoft intends to cut off support for XP, by 2008 I've
> heard, and thus force everyone to upgrade.

How can they force anyone to upgrade?  I've been using Excel 2000 for nearly
six years, and they ended "mainstream" support June 2004 - nearly 3 years
ago.  Why wasn't I forced to upgrade to Excel XP, then Excel 2003, then
Excel 2007?

Millions and millions still run Win98, and official support for that OS
ended a while ago.  Why wasn't everyone forced to upgrade to Win2K, then XP,
then Vista?

(nessuno slinks away like every other cola bozo who can't support their
weird anti-MS blathering).

> In the meantime, if I
> understand it right, Dell can't sell new machines with XP on them if
> Microsoft doesn't sell Dell the licences.  So they could cut this off,
> too, if they wanted to.

I sure hope so.  It's their product to do with as they wish.  I know you
Linux goobs think MS should be forced to do as you wish, but the world
outside cola is a very different place than the alternate reality presented
here.

> OTOH, if customers massively demand XP, even
> if it merely delays substantial Vista adoption by a year or so, it is
> not good news for Microsoft.

It's a major black eye for MS, in my book - and they brought it on
themselves.  Too many incompatibilities with existing apps and games and
hardware, apparently poor upgrade results, and a perception of excessive
hardware requirements (which is only partly true - it doesn't need a fast
processor or expensive video card, but I do think 2gb RAM is necessary for a
good Vista experience.  And that's absurd.).

> The real opportunities for Linux uptake
> may not be right now so much as a year from now when the pressures to
> upgrade become stronger.

Any decade now, and Linux will be taking over.