Re: Dell Restores XP Options at Vista's Expense (and Offer Linux As Well)

  • Subject: Re: Dell Restores XP Options at Vista's Expense (and Offer Linux As Well)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 03:04:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 20 April 2007 16:57 \__

> On Apr 19, 6:48 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Dell casts doubts on Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
>> | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
>> | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
>> |

> Of course Microsoft intends to cut off support for XP, by 2008 I've
> heard, and thus force everyone to upgrade.  In the meantime, if I
> understand it right, Dell can't sell new machines with XP on them if
> Microsoft doesn't sell Dell the licences.  So they could cut this off,
> too, if they wanted to.  OTOH, if customers massively demand XP, even
> if it merely delays substantial Vista adoption by a year or so, it is
> not good news for Microsoft.  The real opportunities for Linux uptake
> may not be right now so much as a year from now when the pressures to
> upgrade become stronger.

Exactly. Dell knows it will lose business (or run out of business) if it only
stocks Vista. That's why it's beginning to offer GNU/Linux (and H-P is still
testing it according to what I have been reading).

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
  3:00am  up 6 days  2:28,  4 users,  load average: 1.27, 1.19, 1.09