Re: What happens on a *nix system when the HDD runs out of space?

____/  larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 10 August 2007 04:57 : \____

> On Aug 9, 8:08 pm, Marshall <d...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I know on Windows XP for example that if you don't stop what you're
>> doing and start making space in some way. The system will crash. Is this
>> possible on a *nix system?
>
> I mis set up a server once too little space in the partition that held
> the system/applications), kept running but got errors all over the
> logs, and could not install updates.

When I run out of space (it happens about once a month on average), the system
just slows down. If you try to write something to disk or perform an
operation, either you will get an error or (more rarely) the application will
crash. KNode, for example, does not like it when it cannot write an outgoing
post to disk. Other applications such as editors produce an error.

That's just my personal experience. Never lost data due to running out of space
with the exception of writing a LyX file to disk and not reading the error
message to actually realise the document was not saved (quota issue, exceeding
limit).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
Cpu(s): 27.8%us,  4.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.3%id,  3.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st