Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Gets Told Off Because of OOXML, SOA

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 09 August 2007 13:45 : \____

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18002573300079DCFE

> One has to wonder just how many lives could've been saved if we'd had
> proper open standards in place, rather than the proprietary, incomplete
> mess which is OOXML, or in that case, older versions of Microsoft Office
> which have been deliberately constructed to make them difficult for
> non-Microsoft products to read.

Working Linux Emergency Response System
Undermined at Homeland Security by Microsoft Lobbying
^^^^^^^^^^                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

,----[ Overview ]
| LAMP is at the heart of Emergency Response Network Systems and is
| saving lives. But recently, Microsoft maneuvered into taking the system
| away from a Free Software vendor.
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/57181/

Your data or your life

,----[ Quote ]
| As unlikely and alarmist as this sounds, it could really happen. Intracare
| is the publisher of a popular practice management system called Dr. Notes.
| When some doctors balked at a drastic increase in their annual software
| lease, they were cut off from accessing their own patients? information.
|
| This situation is completely unconscionable. There can be no truly
| open doctor-patient relationship when an unrelated third party is the
| de facto owner of and gatekeeper to all related data.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1709

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
 18:00:01 up 2 days, 20:53,  6 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.75, 1.09